We often ignore ads, so we're most interested in organic, non-advertising results when we search the Internet. Bing or Google can provide better organic results depending on when you run your experiments (results may vary). So, your best bet is to experiment and see which search engine gives you the best results for your typical searches.
Once you settle on a favorite, you can change your default search engine. Most people still choose Google, but it's always good to see what works best for you.
The bottom line is to check both search engines if you're doing serious research. Search engines change their algorithms frequently.
Try your own search experiment in both Google and Bing:
- Go to www.Google.com.
- Type some keywords or phrases to search for, such as a newspaper article that appeared recently, then press ENTER or the Search button. Do your desired results appear on page 1? Repeat with other keywords and phrases.
- Tip: To search for an exact phrase rather than keywords, place double-quotes around your search, as in "You may be wondering why your website no longer appears on page 1 of Google search results."
- Tip: Try the search phrase above in Bing and Google (with or without quotes).
- Tip: Not sure what "algorithm" means? Type define: algorithm into either Google or Bing for the answer.)
- Go to www.Bing.com.
- Repeat the experiment from Step 2. Are the results better for you in Google or in Bing?
NOTE: It sometimes takes longer for website updates to be indexed in each search engine, so be patient.
Setting the default search engine in your browser varies by browser. Not sure how to change those settings? Why not go to www.Bing.com or www.Google.com and enter how to change the default search engine in browser where browser is the the name of your browser. Examples:
- how to change the default search engine in chrome
- how to change the default search engine in safari
- how to change the default search engine in internet explorer
Did you know? Yahoo uses the Bing search engine too.
See related blog article: Why Your Website Doesn't Appear on Page 1 of Google Results